Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Forever changed



The most amazing, life-changing, beautiful event happened. I finally was able to go to my city, New Orleans, for the very first time.

I have been dreaming about this for as long as I can remember - maybe longer than that. To go to a place you have never been, but feels so familiar is a wondrous thing.

I am forever changed from being there. I sobbed the night before and morning of departure. I could still call the tears up at a moment's notice.

I decided I want to live there. I would have to have dual-residence. I cannot leave my Fairy Realm world permanently. I need to be able to go to either place, at any time.

The energy of that place is so incredible. I didn't eat for two days, because I was so full feeding on the place. I will never live down the lack of food I had in one of the 'Food Capitols of the World". No problem. I am willing to go down there and not eat anytime.

The friend I was there with did the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. It was very much a 'window into the soul' moment. There were street people everywhere, and we gave out so many dollars during our stay. Most of them are probably living on the street due to Katrina. One night, my friend buys a foot-long from a hot dog street vendor. We get stopped after walking away from the cart by another homeless guy that is talking so incredibly fast and not making any sense. We stand there trying to understand, but failing miserably. Then my friend did something that crossed all language barriers - He offered the other end of his hot dog to this guy and asked if he wanted a bite.

I was stunned. Not at the generosity, or the fact that he offered food to the guy, but at the way he did it. He continued to offer bites, from one end, while eating from the other end. No parts thrown away or ripped off and given to the guy - just sharing a dog with a fellow man. I never would have thought to do that. Offer my food - sure. Eat off the same dog, never.

That simple gesture told me so much about him. It was just part of his nature, so he didn't see the amazement in it. I found out gestures like that are common for him. I wonder what that is like - to be so openly generous, to care about others -even strangers- to that degree, to be that compassionate? I understand all of these traits, but to that depth? Wow. That is saintly behavior.

In case you were wondering, homeless guy also received a dollar.

And that is just one of the many New Orleans stories I have - from waking up my friend who wanted to sleep on the street to me stepping out in front of a car completely oblivious to the frozen coffee to our 'Japanese tourist' day to Coop's Place to the kid that caught my hat... It goes on and on. I threw myself into the place 100%, and it is now a part of me.

N'arlins, I will be back!!

No comments: