Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Big Ass Road Trip

There's a family reunion next week (husband's side). But since it is in Idaho, and we have to stop in Minnesota first, we have to leave tonight.

We weren't sure we would be able to find tires to put on the van. We didn't know if we'd have enough cash to get to MN and back (we're riding in a RV out to Idaho). AND we had no idea who was going to watch our dogs.

The cash was the easiest problem to solve. We had enough to get tires and pay for gas to get to MN. Husband's parents were sweet enough to front the rest.

The tires were more hassle than expected. Apparently, we have a very common size tire, and they are really hard to find. We got lucky. We found a place that had them (used, like new) for $21 each -- and that included putting them on!

So, last night, we were trying to figure out our dog options. Most people we know either live in town or have dogs that wouldn't be too happy about it. Well, in case you didn't know, I'm brilliant. I came up with this idea to let our old neighbors watch them. They know the dogs, the dogs know the neighborhood (and the neighborhood dogs), and they are super easy to take care of. Feed them once a day and make sure they have water. No biggie.
One problem with that. We have no idea what their phone number is. We would actually have to drive the hour and a half just to ask (then come back get the dogs, bring them back, etc.), and there is the chance they would say, "No way! Fuck off!". (Well, not really, but they could say no...)

Guess what? They said yes!! So at about 11-ish this morning, we found out we could leave for MN tonight!

Now the scramble begins! We need to pack for almost two weeks in just a few hours, get a nap, run to the store on our way out of town, and try to be to MN by 4pm tomorrow. At 4pm is when husband's dad wants to leave for Idaho. We will probably get out of the van and into the RV. From MN to Idaho (ID?) is a two day trip. In a car, it is 24 hours, if you drive it straight through. An RV moves a bit slower, plus we'll be making a rest stop at some point.

I should be back on the 18th or 19th. Hopefully, I'll find some internet access while I'm gone. If I can, I'll keep you updated.


Cricket - Just so you aren't totally tortured, I put one pic up on my photoblog. It's the bear that was on the float with me -- or actually, I was on the float with the bear... :D

~Do not expand~

2 comments:

Cylithria Dubois said...

I'm back from my improtu trip and wishing you well on yours lady. Enjoy the drive and be safe!!! (I've made that drive way too many times lol so be careful okay?)

Hope you have a great time and I'll be checking back in on you to make sure you return safely!

~J~ said...

Wow. *wiping tear* You guys are great!