Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Starting backwards

I was going to relate the tale of Little Diva's birthday bash/feast and the gifting of the drum, but I think I'll tell things backwards.
Starting with yesterday.

Here I am, just sitting here. Chillin' out after a very active weekend. I'm on the computer (yay! No puter access all weekend -- I sooo needed my fix), and husband pulls in, hours early. Whenever he comes home early, I automatically freak. No 'Hello' or 'How was your day?' or even a 'Hi, honey!'. Nope. I fly to the door, meet him there and breathlessly ask, 'What's wrong?!?!?'.
Yep. I'm nice like that.

Well, this time there was something wrong. He has our kid in the van (my panic increased), and the school called him. I'm hoping she is sick, throwing up, -- ya know, anything normal. (But if it's something normal, why is the van still running? Why is she still buckled in?) He tells me that she is having trouble breathing. As he's explaining it to me, I can see just how freaked he is. Poor guy. (He's a good daddy.) He stopped at home to give me the opportunity to go to the hospital with them. I grabbed clothes (to get dressed in the van), something to put my hair up (cuz there was no time to brush it), my book (don't go anywhere without it), mints (no time to brush my teeth), and a few other things. Like her Gameboy (I was hoping it would distract her from the whole breathing mess).

I ride in the back with her, trying to get her to relax. It almost sounds like hyper-ventilating, but I don't know anything about it. I asked her what she ate, drank, if she took any pills, etc. I asked if anything happened at school. Some kids did upset her, but it didn't sound any more stressful than usual. I noticed her breathing was getting worse as she talked about it though. On to happy subjects!!

Well, to make a long story a tiny bit shorter: It was heartburn. The pain caused her to panic, and have trouble breathing. Then she believed her lungs or throat were actually closed, so she couldn't just relax and get better.

Once the doctor said her lungs and throat were fine (and we explained it to her), she was able to breathe again. They still took a chest x-ray, just in case. It was perfect. They gave her some meds to drink (which she hated). It was a combo of Mylanta, a numbing agent, and something else. Basically, it was to treat the pain from the heartburn.

As if that wasn't weird enough.

She started feeling dizzy while we were still waiting to be dismissed. She fell asleep. When she woke up, the dizzy feeling was still there. She said she also felt weak. We had to make a stop at Circuit City for a b-day gift -- since the plan of husband just stopping and getting it changed.

She was walking funny. She kept bending forward and back at the waist, plus her legs were bending at the knee. She couldn't walk or stand. Her balance was off, and her strength was just gone. She ended up being able to ride on her daddy's back throughout the store. We figured it would pass.

And, by the time we got home, it seemed to. She was walking fine, and moving about without looking like a newborn giraffe or a broken Weeble.

But then, this morning, the dizziness and the weakness are back. They don't seem to be as bad as yesterday, but it's bad enough to keep her knees bending at all the wrong times. It makes me think of what it would be like to watch someone learn to walk after sitting in a wheelchair their whole life.

The hospital has been called to see if this could be some weird side effect. They said no. If she is still feeling like this later on, we need to bring her back in. *sigh* Hospital trips always take so long.

So the kidling stayed home with me today, and is currently playing her Playstation. (That was a gift she received over the weekend. It's used, and a PS1, AND she absolutely loves it!)

~Do not expand~

2 comments:

~J~ said...

Thanks, darlin'.

If anyone can pull through, she can.

Anonymous said...

Wierd. Could she be reacting to the meds they gave her? That really sucks! Call me and let me know how she's doing, okay? Or email or something...

((HUGS))
~S