Friday, January 28, 2005

Mommy gone bad

Mommy blogs.
They bug me.
I know it sounds hypocritical of me considering the kidling gets mentioned on here.

Then again, I don't consider this a *gag* Mommy blog.I understand wanting to keep track of all the wonderful things your kid/s do. That makes perfect sense. Kids do so many jaw-dropping things, it's impossible to remember them all.
What I don't understand is how can you believe other people want to read how many times Junior blew his nose on your sleeve before you finally got him to stop? Or some other gross thing... Or how your husband doesn't help and you are completely frazzled?

As a mom, I have always worked really hard not to be THAT mom-- the one that talks about her children constantly, proudly shows pictures ALL THE TIME when you know what the little brat looks like, interrupts good adult conversation because it reminded her of an (not) amusing anecdote involving the little diva...

I am not saying not to be proud of your kids. (Like that double negative?) I think there is a time and place to mention them (and it's not when you are out with your childless friends). But blogging? Maybe keeping the blog private or only giving a few the link (the ones that care, like grandparents). But advertising your Mommy blog? Do you really think that much of your family life to advertise it with 'get more people to read your site' tools???

Those are the Mommies gone bad. They have forgotten they are also an individual -- not just a mommy. These are the moms that fall apart when the kid goes to summer camp, college, or moves out. These are the ones that reach retirement age and realize they have no idea what to do with themselves, now that there is no one to take care of. It is really sad.

Mommy bloggers: Remember your SELF!!!

1 comment:

Naughti Biscotti said...

Oh god, this made me laugh. I get irritated with the teenage "I hate my life" blog. Oh come on, how miserable could these teenagers really be? I enjoyed reading your blog and will be back to visit. But, now I'm wondering if you would think my blog is stupid. Check it out shandisexpression.blogspot.com I kind of rant about things that irritate me as well. Read "God plays the lotto" and "My first Rock Concert".