Saturday, November 06, 2004

Deep Thoughts

I'm going on sleep dep again. Hmm... Seems to be a pattern. And for some reason, I am handling it much better than in the past. At least, it doesn't take as long to recover from it. It hardly seems to take any time at all.
Stay up all day, all night, all day, and finally get a full night's sleep... and that's all I need. Weird.

And I'm actually craving meat. Not pasta, or something normal for me like that. And it can't be just any meat. I am having serious cravings. I must be lacking in something.

I could actually go out and hunt something-- and eat it raw right there. But I am choosing to be civilized, and wait for supper. Dammit...


On a different topic, I think people should constantly test themselves. We should all hold ourselves to high standards. We should also see how far we can go. I guess you could call them 'control exercises'. Tempt yourself with something you can't have, just to see if you can resist. I believe it makes a person stronger. It also informs you what your limits are. That's something else everyone should know-- their limits. And to bring yourself as close to the line as possible, without crossing it. It's good for the body and soul. And teaches you your desires, needs, and things you need to avoid.

It is also an exercise in Mind Over Matter. See if you can keep your mind functioning without giving into your body. Or get your mind to accept something (or believe something) that your body would normally perceive a different way. Like pain. Your body would normally flinch and rebel against any kind of pain, but if you can adjust the way your mind perceives it... It is possible to come away feeling no pain-- or at least, not have any lasting injuries. I know, for myself, I have a high pain tolerance. I didn't always, but when I was a little kid, I heard about the stoic-ness (is that a word?) of the Samurai. (I think that's who it was, anyway. And if it wasn't, sue me. I was a kid.) They would take all kinds of pain, injuries, and torture-- without changing their facial expression. I admired and aspired to that. I wanted to be able to have a 'poker face'. No matter what. I haven't reached that point yet. My face still changes. But I'm working on it. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too don't like to sleep much, used to be cos if we sleep 8hrs a day on average, thats 20yrs of sleep per
60yrs of life. Seemed like a huge waste of 20yrs.Lifes too short to waste a third of it sleeping.To much to experiance,too much to do. Too much to think about and to much to ponder. I do know however that all that lack of sleep affects the way I think,my memory,my ability
to think strait at work and could even be the cause of my thinking way too much about anything and everything.Could be a viscious cycle. Still don't much like sleep but I do know I should try to get as much of it as I can. For the lack of it can bring on confusion