Wednesday, November 24, 2004

I found love again

Last night, we had our Thanksgiving feast. We visited our nuclear family. I think that's the term, anyway, for the family you choose.
I have been so anti-social lately. It was so refreshing to be around people (yes, people-- not just a person that worked in the moment) that didn't piss me off.
It had that feeling. You know the one... The one you're supposed to have at family gatherings. The sitting around the hearth fire, telling stories, and just generally loving each other feeling. The feeling you see in old black and white holiday movies. The feeling that people complain isn't there anymore. Well, I'm here to say it isn't gone. I felt it.
I am so lucky to have these people in my life.
And for us, we were just using Thanksgiving as an excuse to get together, and have a feast. Thanksgiving (for pagans) isn't a seasonal holiday. Or, I should say, it isn't based on anything in nature -- like a solstice. It is our out-of-place secular holiday feast thing (to use a friend's words).
And, boy howdy!, was it a feast!!! It took two long tables to hold the food. Just the food. No one was sitting at the tables. There wasn't room. I was so stuffed, and continued to eat. When something tastes that good, I'll deal with the pain. From homemade bread to homemade cheesecake (not from a mix) and homemade pecan pie... How could anyone resist? *laugh* And no one did.
The beautiful thing is, we will be going back there Friday, and again, for Yule.
Going there was just the warm blanket I needed to curl up in on a cold winter's night. I feel so refreshed.

No comments: