Monday, October 04, 2004

I hate weddings rant

Weddings suck.
People act all sappy the entire day. There are lots of hugs and kisses and fancy uncomfortable clothes. Congratulations all around! Let me toast the fact that you made it to your wedding day. I'll really be impressed if you actually stay married.
Why the hell do people go to so much trouble and expense and put themselves in debt for one lousy --let's face it-- bride's day. Cuz we all know the man had nothing to do with which flowers were used or colors were worn or even where the reception was held. A wedding for a man is just a trial run for marriage-- if he can say 'yes, ma'am' with a smile while shelling out his life savings... Well, who knows? They might stand a chance. Until the newly wedded hubby realizes it was not for just one day. That is what 'Till death do us part' meant-- not undying love, but ever-open wallet.
Yes, I know. This sounds bitter.
I have a friend that is getting married, and she is poor. So why the hell is the bill up to $8,000+ already? And that is just minor parts-- we're not talking about the cost of the actual wedding or reception... Just stuff that goes with it (like tables, chairs, photographer, etc.)
And she hasn't listened to a damn word I've said about it. And I'm in the thing!! But since I live where I do, it'll cost me about $1,000. And she thinks that is just fine. She hasn't even offered to pay for my plane ticket. I even asked her about it, and she was very resistant. You know why? She can't spare money for a plane ticket when she is paying for the best of everything else.
What can I say? She has priorities.
In fact, she didn't call me for a month after that pleasant little conversation. Now she is trying to get a hold of me again, but we're playing phone tag. Can't seem to call at the right times. Oh, well. I am kind of curious to see what she has to say after all this time. Since she hails from my hometown, most likely she'll try to gloss over the strife. Denial. Excuses. And I'll have to try not to get mad or she might go away for another month.
That really pisses me off.
Not that I mind not talking for a month.... But I need to know if I am still in the wedding, or if she has replaced me ( I hope), and I can't find that out if she's not speaking to me. Dammit!!
I hate weddings. There should be a law against them.


No comments: